I think Ossian Studios must be full of very powerful wizards who just so happen to stay out of trouble magic users get into by making some really wonderful games. The developer, well known by western RPG fans for two excellent expansion adventure packs for BioWare’s Neverwinter Nights 2 (Mysteries of Westgate and Darkness over Daggerford) has a new mobile RPG that’s going to maybe make some PC-only players jealous. Available for Android and iOS platforms, The Shadow Sun is a Unity engine RPG with about 10 hours of content, some really pretty visuals and what looks like fine gameplay in action.
The Shadow Sun is packed with features you’d normally see in high-quality PC and console role-playing games. However, given the developer is made up of veterans with experience on Neverwinter Nights and The Witcher, what’s here is just the team showing off their work for all the (mobile) world to see and enjoy. Check out the gallery, game features and teaser trailer below the jump, if you please:
- A premium, full 3D Western RPG with a story filled with complex characters, intrigue, danger, and shocking surprises.
- A 10-hour adventure where you delve into the decadent imperial city of Shar and the exotic desert lands around it, as the Golden City languishes in the grip of a plague and simmers in defiance against the kingdoms of the North.
- Gorgeous graphics using the Unity engine, including normal/specular mapping and dynamic lighting on the characters, as well as anti-aliasing and bloom.
- Create your own male or female character and customize them with different appearances and over a dozen types of armour.
- Choose from among 30 skills to suit your play style and grow those abilities exactly how you want as the game progresses.
- Ally with one of four companions to adventure alongside you, each with their own personality, abilities, and romance options, and gain their approval or disapproval on your actions.
- Adopt a faithful dog companion to fight by your side.
- A useful journal and detailed codex help you keep track of quests and the people, places, and things you encounter.
- Explore over 70 finely crafted areas and uncover 200+ unique items, hidden secrets, and ancient treasures.
- A striking and compelling orchestral music score by long-time Ossian composer, David John.
- Includes Apple Game Center support.
- A universal app for iPhone (3GS and up), iPod touch (3rd gen and up), and iPad (1st gen and up), with Retina display support. Graphics will scale with device.
Now, if only they had this available on Steam so I could download it onto my laptop and play it. I prefer gaming on a bigger screen because my old eyeballs aren’t as good as they were back in the day. Yeah, yeah, I could pay through the nose for a tablet with a nice display, but I’m not sitting on that type of loot and I really don’t care much for touchscreen devices when all is said and done. Still, I’ll absolutely give this a shot, as I just so happen to have a few unused devices here I can play this on…
A little teaser trailer action for you? Okay, drink up!